There is an overall college of bishops behind the nomination.
-We are delighted and grateful that dr. Fykse Tveit has confirmed that he is accepting the nomination and is willing to make himself available to become a bishop in our church and for the Bishop's Conference, says the current presiding bishop, Helga Haugland Byfuglien.
There is only one nominee for the position, as the regulations allow.
Olav Fykse Tveit has extraordinary qualifications and experience that makes him very suitable for the position in the Bishop's Conference and the Church of Norway.
Fykse Tveit has served as General Secretary of the World Council of Churches (WCC) for the past 10 years. WCC is the largest ecumenical organization in the world, and encompasses 350 denominations with more than 500 million Christians in 110 countries. Before that, he has served as a parish pastor, theological consultant and Secretary General of the Council of Ecumenical Affairs within the Church of Norway. He also holds a doctoral degree in theology from MF Norwegian School of Theology.
Through his service, Olav Fykse Tveit has gained great confidence and made significant contributions to the church's unity and interaction across continents and faiths. The Bishop's Conference is convinced that Olav Fykse Tveit will become a very good leader in the college of bishops and the Church of Norway in a new era.
The nomination is now being forwarded to the National Church Council, who is responsible for the further process until the appointment. The National Church Council has arranged for appointment at its meeting in Trondheim 30.-31. January 2020.
Rev Dr Olav Fykse Tveit CV
Born in Haugesund, Norway, 24.11.1960, raised in Bømlo, Dale, Åfjord and Gol. Married 1983 with Anna Bjorvatten Tveit. Three grown and married children, four grandchildren.
- dr. theol., MF Norwegian School of Theology, 2002, with the dissertation «Mutual Accountability as Ecumencial Attitude».
- Practical-theological seminary, MF Norwegian School of Theology, 1987.
- cand. theol., MF Norwegian School of Theology, 1986.
- General Secretary, World Council of Churches, elected by the Central Committee, for 2010-31.03.2020
- Secretary General, Council of Ecumenical Affairs within the Church of Norway, 2002-2009
- Secretary to the Church-State Commission of the National Church Council in the Church of Norway, 2001-2002
- Secretary of the Doctrinal Commission 1999-2000
- Consultant and Senior Consultant for Theological Matters, Council of Ecumenical Affairs within the Church of Norway, 1991-1996,
- Parish pastor in Haram, Diocese of Møre, 1988-91
- Army Chaplain, Sessvollmoen 1987-1988
- Board member of the global partnership "End Violence Against Children" 2017-
- Co-President of the World Conference of Religions for Peace, 2015-
- Co-chair for the contact group The Norwegian Church - Islamic Council Norway, 2005-2009
- Co-chair for the contact group between Church of Norway and The Mosaic Congregation in Norway 2005-2009
- Member and chair of WCC Palestine-Israel Ecumenical Forum Core Group 2007-2009
Point of Contact:
Bishop Helga Haugland Byfuglien, Presiding Bishop of the Bishop's Conference, tel. +47 948 03 312
Bishop Atle Sommerfeldt, tel. +47 917 55 112