The church dates from the Middle Ages and was first built in Romanesque style in the early 13th century with local limestone. From 1697-1725 it was expanded to a cross shaped church (korskirke). A new choir-section was added in 1832, then the church was expanded to the west in 1878. The church was renovated in 1928 and again in the years around 2020. The church is the village's oldest and has conservation status as protected by the cultural heritage authorities.
The ceiling paintings from 1840 are painted by Jørgen Erichsen. The two stained glass windows painted by Emanuel Vigeland in 1950 depict the baptism of Jesus and the Ascension of Christ. The oldest Norwegian copy of Leonardo da Vinci's «The Last Supper» is part of the altarpiece. The upper motif is the Crucifixion with Mary and Mary Magdalene, and at the top of the altar stands Christ as the Savior of the world.
Heggen church is buzzing with everyday life. When the village gathers for a ski jumping race «at the neighbors hill,» the church is open for worship and fellowship.
Below the church wall is the bauta memorial that lists the names of 24 war veterans from Modum who lost their lives.
In the 13th century, a stone church was built at Østre Vike farm. This church was in use until the Reformation. Today the place is called Vike church ruin. You will find the ruins by following the old church road above the rectory, approx. three kilometers from here.