In the 14th century a stave church was built here on the bishop's and monastery land at Buskerud farm's land. The church was repaired in 1663 and rebuilt into a wooden cruciform church. This church was demolished in 1846.
The church was designed by architect Christian. H. Grosch in neo-Gothic style and seats approx. 350 people including the gallery. All three church buildings are located in the same area.
Nykirke gathers people for worship services, baptisms, confirmations, weddings and funerals. The baptismal font, the altarpiece and the pulpit were carved in the 18th century and come originally from the previous church. «Blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it. Luc 11» is painted on the pulpit. A traditional church ship hangs down from the roof inside the church over the aisle.
Emanuel Vigeland's stained glass painting "The Return of the Lost Son" was given in celebration of the church's 100th anniversary in 1947. For several generations, the Collett family owned a farm in Buskerud. The family's gravesite is built over a crypt with a tomb basement.