Short information about St. John's Church in Bergen:
The church was consecrated on March 15, 1894. It can safely be called a masterpiece of Norwegian Neo-Gothic architecture. In this article you can read about the history of St. John's Church in Bergen, how it's been rehabilitated since the start - the leaks always have been a challange.
The church is part of the Bergen Cathedral parish. Johanneskirken is a cruciform church made of brick. The Church has got 690 seats, and its tower, at 61 meters, is the tallest in Bergen.
1684 – Early Plans
Jørgen Thormøhlen receives royal permission to build a church at Sydnes. It is uncertain if this church was ever constructed.
1869 – Establishment of Building Committe
In 1869, a building committee was established to consider the materials for a proposed church on the west side of the city. Initially, a soapstone church was considered, but later a stone facade was recommended. The concept was carried forward to Sandviken Church in 1881, while St. John's Church was planned with brick.
1888 – Architectural Competition
Herman M. Backer wins the competition to design St. John's Church. The plans describe the use of modern materials such as hard-burnt machine-made bricks and lime/cement mortar/plaster. The roof was to have Valdres slate. Estimated cost: 200.000 Norwegian kroner.
1891 – Laying the Foundation Stone and Construction
- Construction begins, led by architects Adolf Fischer and Hans Heinrich Jess. The foundation stone is laid in November. 28 different formats of facade bricks are ordered from Ullesdorfer Werke in Germany, totaling 262.708 bricks.
- For the back wall and interior masonry, 475,783 bricks were ordered, with the largest quantity believed to have been supplied by Bø Brickworks on Karmøy.
- A total of 738.490 bricks were ordered for the construction of the church, with an estimated total of about 1 million bricks including the foundation.
- Changes are made to the original specifications from the architect, including the use of Belgian limestone slabs instead of Valdres slate on the roof.
1894 – An Icon is Raised
- St. John's Church is consecrated on March 15 as Bergen's largest church, with a capacity of 1,250 people (today's standard capacity is 650). The building is a prime example of its architectural style and one of the most original in Norway. However, even before the consecration, moisture problems were reported.
- The altarpiece "Christ in Prayer" by Marcus Grønvold and the organ from Schlag & Söhne highlight the church's artistic and musical heritage.
- St. John's Church is built in a neo-Gothic style as a single-nave long church with transepts; the building material is glazed brick over a granite base. The tower is 61 meters high and divided into four floors.
1895 – First Organist Appointed
Gabriel Tischendorf becomes the first organist of St. John's Church, laying the foundation for the church's rich musical tradition.
1894 - 1910 – Plastering and Maintenance
The inside of the towers is plastered to handle the moisture problems that have existed since the church was new.
1925 – Electric Lighting Installed
The church transitions from gas lighting to electric lighting, modernizing the building and improving the experience for visitors.
1930 – Restoration of Stained Glass and Masonry
- The stained glass from the German company Dr. H. Oidtmann & Co undergoes its first extensive maintenance process to preserve their clear and vibrant colors.
- First replacement of the masonry joints either partially or completely.
1934 – Roof Tiles Replaced
Roof rehabilitation. Original roof tiles (Belgian limestone slabs) are replaced with Voss slate.
1938 – First Moisture Protection
First attempt at exterior impregnation to prevent water ingress. Ofaliin B (south and east) and Arbagit (north and west) are used to protect the masonry from moisture. The manufacturer warned against high expectations of effectiveness, but the sellers promised "Apply Arbagit to the masonry surface and it will be completely waterproof..." (Dagbladet newspaper, 1932).
1947 – Restoration of Windows and Lead Glass
As a result of the explosion accidents in both Vågsbunnen and Marineholmen (1940), some windows in St. John's Church were damaged. These and others were restored in 1947.
1953 – Toilets in the Vestibule
1954-1957 – Investigation of New Moisture Protection
New investigation of impregnation on the church's facades, it is believed that the tower received new impregnation in 1957.
1960 – Modernization of the Clockwork and New Heating System in the Church
1967 – Modernization of the Organ
The historic organ from 1894 is upgraded with a new console and two additional stops, adapted to modern requirements.
1974 – 1990 Interior Maintenance
- Several interior surfaces are upgraded.
- The altarpiece is restored.
- A universally designed entrance is established on the north side of the church.
1990 – Rehabilitation Before the 100th Anniversary
- Sound insulation between the chapel and the church room.
- Restoration of the organ and console.
- Establishment of a heating system: Under benches, console, and pulpit. An SD system is also installed.
- Replacement of joints and some bricks, new pointing mortars are used, and impregnation is applied to the facade to handle moisture damage.
- Interior rehabilitation of paint and decoration. Interior plastic paint was used, which does not breathe, thus trapping water inside the walls.
- These methods, along with the church's rehabilitation history, maintenance frequency, construction, materials, and product choices, are later criticized for worsening the problems.
2012 – Chapel Converted to Café
2014 – Carillon Realized
A new carillon is installed under the original bells in the tower and inaugurated on May 17, 2014. It is built by Royal Eijsbouts bell foundry in Asten, Netherlands. The instrument is a four-octave concert carillon consisting of 48 bells. The carillon has a total weight of 15,000 kilos. The largest weighs 2,200 kilos, and the smallest weighs 8 kilos. The bells are decorated with motifs from St. John's Church's interior. It is the only one of its kind in Bergen, and former cantor Asbjørn Myksvoll was instrumental in realizing the carillon.
2015 – Repair on the East Side of the Tower
Due to large cracks, facade bricks on parts of the east side of the tower are replaced.
2017 – Condition Analysis
In 2017, a condition analysis was conducted that described the church's various challenges at an overall level. The need for further investigations was pointed out.
2022 – Rehabilitation of Roof, Ventilation Towers in the South and West
- New band covering in the west over the café and priest's sacristy.
- Demolition of ventilation towers and construction of new towers in the west.
2024 – A New Chapter Begins
Restoration begins, aiming to combine traditional craftsmanship techniques and modern technology to preserve the church for the next 100 years.